Sunday 2 February 2020

Salmon season 2020 "The Blackwater River".


 Sunrise on another salmon fishing season on the Blackwater river. I arrived just as the sun was peeking above the hills , the river was at a nice height around .78m on the gauge and runnng very clear. I had a cast on lower Kilmurray with my spinning rod and touched a fish ,more than likely a kelt as there was very little positive contact and it was off. I fished up the beat casting at all the likely spots but to no avail. Fishing upper Kilmurray for about half an hour and again no contact so I decided to head down to Kents for the last cast as I had to be home by 12.30. Fishing down kents I hooked and landed 4 well mended silver kelts and a number of well conditioned brown trout, all were released bank into the river. The weather was perfect and about 10 degrees, a beautiful day to be on the river and even better a few pulls to get the excitement levels raised. I didn't hear of any fresh salmon being met but there were the usual stories of fresh fish being seen on the days leading up to the opening day something akin to "you should have been here yesterday". Here are a few pictures of the river and some of fish, none fresh but we'll take what we're given on such a glorious openng day.

                                                Looking down to lower Kilmurray

                                                      The island at lower Kilmurray

                                                              Upper Kilmurray




         Having fished the top of the island stream I decided to move on down to Kents beat.
                  The lower half of Kents Beat where I caught and released the kelts.




                                            Hopefully all anglers will adhere to the signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment