Tuesday 18 January 2022

Salmon Season 2022 " The Laune River ".

 


Beat 2 Beaufort bridge.
 







Beat 1 



Just some photo's from the opening day of the 2022 salmon fishing season on the Laune river, its a day that got off to a bad start there were no permits available from the normal shop but were available online. Eventually I was able to purchase the permit from the O' Sullivans shop and petrol station at Beaufort bridge where the metal fish photo was taken at the end of beat 2. I started late as I had spent time driving around and looking for a permit, fishing at beat 1, I met a few of the regular opening day anglers but again this year their number had dropped and some of the older faces were missing unfortunately a sign of our times.
I fished down beat 1 and met a couple of hungry skinny trout but no salmon or kelts but there were a few kelts caught and released at beat 1 from the far bank. The water was at about 1.6 on the guage and that level can be seen on the photo of beat 1 just at the base of the stones. In terms of fishing it was ideal for fishing a fly and I had no problem covering most of the river with my 10ft 7wt Switch fly rod using a floating line and a 10ft 4 inches per second sink versileader and a small bullet allys shrimp fly. I had a very positive hit down river but the fish dropped the fly, not the normal kelt hit but hard and fast just like a travelling fish but we'll never know. I must admit it was a beautiful mild sunny day to be out in the fresh air and on a river bank, when leaving I didn't hear of any fresh fish caught or seen. There were about 20 anglers fishing beat 1&2 of the Laune river so a busy enough opening day.

No comments:

Post a Comment