Thursday 9 June 2022

Salmon Fishing Ireland 2022 "Salmon on the fly".

 It's been a hard few weeks with very low water on the river Lee, I have no idea why the ESB are keeping such low water flow but it's definitely interfering with the fish and the fishing. I have been mainly trout fishing but with low oxygen levels due to the low water even that is proving difficult. There has to be an inquiry into this carry on because if it's not corrected there will be another brown tag season to come. At least they could run half load or less for a couple of hours every few days to clean it and freshen things up allowing fish to move through the system and not be held in the harbour or at the kingsley weir. You can see the lack of angling effort through out the river by the normal salmon anglers and when they're not fishing there's an increase in let's say other angling activities. 
I had literally just started fishing on beat 4, it was my 3rd or 4th cast and I was stripping line to impart some movement into the fly when the salmon hit hard and started swimming upstream past me very fast. I had to really be on my "A"game as I was using a barbless size 15 Ally's shrimp fly on a very light tippet due to the low clear water conditions. It came downstream just as fast and did a few explosive rolls just below me and honestly I expected the fly to pop out but it stayed in and I was able to beach the fish after some very powerful runs in the low water. It took a few moments of recovery to get the fish ready to return it back into the river and it was a very fresh wild salmon just over 10lbs. Hopefully in the next draw I can get a brown tag.............video is up on youtube link below.

https://youtu.be/cV8R0K9oGTI

No comments:

Post a Comment