Tuesday 24 January 2023

Opening day Salmon season 2023 "Laune River".

 Opening day Salmon fishing season 2023 on the Laune river. Got to the river a bit late due to slow traffic conditions because of the icey roads, especially coming over the county bounds. I went straight up to beat 1 and was surprised how high the water level was basically all the way up to the hut. A few trees were down blocking access to most areas, and between high water and soft bank it made fishing sketchy to say the least.

There were about a dozen anglers in total fishing beat 1&2 on both banks, a few kelts were met and returned but no fresh salmon was seen or caught during the time I was there. It was definitely out for fly so I concentrated on spinning and I fished the bottom of beat 2 from Beaufort Bridge upto beat 1 covering the areas that I could safely gain access to. These days I prefer caution over bravery so if it looks dodgy walk away. The bank from the laune bridge looking down to beat 2 is under water and that was just about my limit of stupidness so I fished down to the bend and basically tore up the bottom with the spinner covering as much water as I could. I gave the top of  beat 1 a good run through and also below beat 1 where I could get access to the river but again nothing met. At about 3.30 I decided it was best to head back home and to be honest the snow covered mountains and landscape were just breathtaking so I was delighted to have spent time enjoying the scenery and any day that one doesn't get poured on by rain is a good day. The water level was 2.68m at the bridge so looking at my pictures you can guage height as it drops. Here are some pictures of beat 1 & 2 from the top of beat 1 to Beaufort Bridge. I did see 2 silver salmon on my journey but definitely not fresh. Pictures below fish included.
















No comments:

Post a Comment